Last September, I went to Michael’s and found some papier machê Christmas tree forms that were just screaming at me to be altered. So I got one of each size and had them standing around my craft area until the mood got around to striking. At first, I thought of doing some Victoriana decorations for them. But then I saw all of my industrial crap laying everywhere, and if y’all know me, you knew this was going to happen.
STEAMPUNK CHRISTMAS TREES!!!!
I am nothing if not unconventional.
For the small tree, I simply used Distress Paint™ in brass, applying several coats. Then I glued a flourish I had painted in black, and attached felt flowers and leaves. The “star” is a cog held straight by a Idea-ology™ memo stick pin. Also I hung a 7Gypsies™ dangling charm from it.
The medium tree took the longest. I covered the tree in multi-medium and then took tissue and smooshed it on, all wrinkled and torn. And that’s when I got stuck. What to do now?? And then I thought of Daleks and an idea came to me. (Don’t judge me. My random thoughts are seldom alone.) I made a “cage” from Grunge Paper™! I took a sheet and painted it in a flat black, then I cut ¼ inch strips length-wise. And then this is the tricky part: I eyeballed where I wanted the horizontal rings, and stapled them closed. I then took the remaining strips and eyeballed it again, punching holes where I wanted the brads to hold them vertically.
Finally, I used Swivel Clasps to hold gears like ornaments. I also used a gear and a pin as the star, with yet another dangling charm.
The tall tree was the most fun to do. I wanted to cover it in a riveted copper look, so I cut a piece of paper the size of the area of the cone, and then applied metal foil tape cut in random pieces to cover it. I then took a pen and made imprints of rivets and dots and lines on each cut out of foil. Then I stained it with alcohol inks, randomly stamping in a mottled effect.
The gears were cut from Grunge Paper using the gears die from Tim Holtz. I painted them in a pearl white to stand out against the coppery background. I then adhered them with foam dots (which you can see up there in the close-up. Grrrr…). Finally a gear star and dangle were added.
I really like how they came out. I know the tutorial isn’t very specific, but that’s the beauty of Steampunk and Industriality. I’m thinking of making some with Star Wars™ influence for next year!
Thanks for stopping by!! 🙂